Looking your best doesn’t just mean you pay attention only to your top and bottom; accessories really matter too! In fact, the right shoe can take an outfit from amazing to BOING! Conversely, the wrong shoe, can make a great outfit fall flat. For instance, knowing how to wear a shoe boot with a cuffed or ankle jean matters. Small details can be the difference between making it work and having it be all wrong.
My store has just received our fall shipment of these lovely shoes from L’Artiste by Spring Step. What I love about these shoes is the artistry; they are anything by ordinary, and wearing a shoe like this can really add dimension and interest to your outfit. The combination of multiple fabrics, blended colors, and exquisite details, take them to a whole new level. And, why shouldn’t your shoe be as interesting as the other elements of your style?
But, wearing a great shoe does take a little more thought, so here are my 5 tips for how to wear a great shoe like these correctly:
- Balance the details: If you are wearing a beautiful shoe like these with lots of embellishment and details, you can let the shoe be the star of your style, and good style dictates that you don’t have more than one or two items that are really eye catching. If you combine too many pieces with too many details, your look can begin to be a bit over done. For example, if you have a great shoe like these, choose a simple, clean bottom without any embellishments. Then, maybe add another accessory such as a great pair of earrings, a scarf or a handbag as your second “star,” keeping your top simple.
- Wear the style correctly: Nothing can ruin a look faster than wearing a shoe the wrong way. For example, with the shoe boot trend, you have three options: you can wear them with a skirt, you can wear them with leggings or you can wear them with a cuffed bottom that hits right at the top of the boot. You don’t want two inches of skin showing between the hemline and the boot. You also don’t want an overly large cuff. Also, don’t let your socks show!
- Match the colors: Wearing a multi-colored shoe just requires that you match the colors in the shoe with the colors in your outfit. Take the shoe boot on the bottom right at the top of the page as an example. This shoe combines several key colors of the season, including navy, wine, lavender and gold. This boot is going to work well with any denim, but you would want to choose a top in the same tones as the shoe. Wine, blue and purple tones will work best. You don’t have to match the shoe exactly, just stay in the same color family to keep your style pulled together.
- Match the metals: I have never been a fan of mixing metals in your outfits. If you shoe has silver buckles, for instance, make sure that the rest of your jewelry is also silver. The same goes for gold.
- Enjoy the attention: When you wear an eye catching shoe, you will….well…catch eyes! You might even have a stranger stop you and compliment you. When this happens, enjoy the attention! When you’ve worked hard to put a great look together, you deserve the praise! And, it feels good to feel great about your style!
These shoes are available on our online store in our “Kyleen’s Picks Of The Week” Collection.