One of the most important things we do in our stores is help our customers find the perfect clothing lines that will suit their fashion needs and lifestyle. I make it a point to end the sale with a few tips on how they can care for their purchase so it will last. One of the things I find myself saying over and over again is beware of the dryer. The simple and unfortunate truth is the dryer is not your friend when it comes to better clothing.
The high heat of a clothing dryer is the culprit in many a washing disaster. Heat will fade your dark colors, shrivel your rayon and cotton, melt your embellishments and twist your lace. The problem is, we all like the convenience of being able to wash and dry our clothing. If that describes you, follow these simple tips to help keep your clothing looking its best.
1. Turn your dark colors inside out. Washing your dark clothing with a quarter cup of vinegar will prevent color running. Drying your dark items inside out will help prolong your color. To preserve your black the best, try hanging the item to dry and then putting it in the dryer for a short 5 to 10 minute cycle to release wrinkles and soften the fabric.
2. Turn your embellishments inside out. If you have sequins, beads, stones, grommets, etc. on any of your clothing, you will want to turn the garment inside out so the embellishments do not rub on other clothing. This friction causes your embellishments to loosen as well as damages the other items in the dryer.
3. Invest in a large lingerie bag. Wash and dry all your more delicate fabrics in a mesh lingerie bag to prevent them from rubbing your other clothing and causing pilling.
4. For most sweaters you will want to wash them in a delicate cycle (or hand wash) and lay them flat to dry. You can put them in a short drying cycle to soften if they feel stiff.
5. Never dry your bras. I’m sure I am not the only one who has taken out a knotted mess when I forgot to remove my bra before throwing my clothing into the washing machine or dryer. Always wash your bras in a lingerie bag that prevents twisting and hang them to dry. They will fit you much better and last much longer if you do this.
When in doubt, wash your clothing on delicate in cold water and hang to dry. Your better fabrics will love you for the extra care and reward you with a long life and many years of great style.