I mean no disrespect by my title. Some of the season’s trends like feathered skirts, exposed bralettes and exaggerated stand up collars will be worn by someone, just not here in Wyoming. And to you I say, “go for it and rock it.” If we Wyoming girls stretch out towards the edgier trends, we look like a transplant, and Wyoming folks are suspicious of transplants…we’re scared you might try to change our way of life, which we love. So, this blog is really about the latest Spring 2021 trends that I will likely see on the streets of Casper, Wyoming and the ones that I have bought for my store. That is in no way to characterize Wyoming women as un-trendy; on the contrary, our version of trendy is just mountain west trendy as opposed to New York or California trendy. And there is a difference. So, here you go…my top ten Spring 2021 trends that we will wear:
- Button Down Oversized Blouses (top and bottom right). I think “slouchy” might be an appropriate term to describe the trends of 2021. The oversized blouse trend includes both longer button ups as well as blouses that literally look a couple of sizes too big. These comfy blouses are perfect worn with oversized jeans like girlfriend jeans or leggings. To keep from looking shapeless, do a front tuck, tie or twist with your blouse into your jeans so that the front of your jeans shows.
- Belted Waists (top middle): Last season was all about the tie front details on blouses. This season will highlight the waist with belted details and peplums that show your shape. If your belts have been gathering dust in your closet, this is the season to pull them out, dust them off, and start belting your blouses, dresses, coats and whatever else you can find that looks great with a belt.
- Tie Dye (bottom middle): This classic “do it yourself” fashion saw us through much of 2020. I listened to a podcast this morning, and the host talked about wearing tie dyed jogger suits all last year while she was quarantined at home. There is no slow down to this look for 2021 so keep wearing your tie dye pieces that you bought last year.
- Wide Legged pants (bottom left): Another style trend that is continuing from 2020 is the wide legged pant. Yet another “slouchy” style, this pant trend screams comfort and ease. As with the oversized blouse and jean trend, you have to balance the wide legs with a tucked, belted or tailored top that comes in at the waist. This will keep you from looking boxy.
- Sheer styles (top middle): Sheer fabrics will be a key fabric trend this season, lending to a light and airy option for tops. You’ll see everything from chiffon to mesh and peek-a-boo tanks.
- Floral Prints (top left): The print trends for the season are definitely feminine with floral prints taking center stage. Look for all over floral tops and dresses as well as floral prints on jackets and accessories.
- Khaki: This color and style will be significant this season. Look for khaki pants, especially trouser styles as an important way to wear this look. Pair khaki up with chambray or dark denim for a classic style.
- Oversized Jeans: Yet another “slouchy” trend this season is the oversized jean trend. We’ve seen variations of “boyfriend” and “girlfriend” jeans for several seasons now, and this style looks like it will continue to be strong. Look for distressed styles with holes and patches.
- Cream or Ivory mono-chromatic outfits: Head to toe white, ivory or cream is a lovely look for special events, as it exudes class. Look for all white dresses as well as ivory top and slack sets.
- Cut Outs: We saw cut outs begin with the “cold shoulder” trend of several seasons ago. It has morphed into cut outs occurring any where on a garment, including the neck. midriff, side, and shoulder. This added detail has one purpose: to show skin and draw the eye to a particular part of the body. Be sure your cut out items are focusing the eye on a part of your body you love.
The season’s trends are in direct relation to Covid19 and the political unrest of 2020. As we are still coping with many of the restrictions and complications from the pandemic, our lives feel smaller, somehow. The slouchy styles embrace a more casual, stay at home lifestyle and allow us to hide any extra weight we might have gained last year. They are the equivalent of comfort food…pieces you will love to put on that make you feel relaxed. The softer, feminine floral prints and sheer chiffon fabrics remind us of gardens and carefree days, something we are all missing. The focus on white, ivory and cream signals purity and innocence, things we worry might be gone forever. And in the midst of all of this we have tie dye, an iconic reminder of the turbulent 70s but also a style that signals freedom from constraints.
I’d love to hear the trends you are excited about. If you’d like to watch a live video on this topic, tune into my weekly Wednesday Night Wardrobing videos where I discuss the latest trends as well as fashion know how. Tonight’s video can be seen in our VIP Facebook group. It will air at 6 p.m. MST. You can watch here: https://www.facebook.com/events/174482441137123